cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router DHCP binding - 12-digit MAC fails?

Dirk-Jan Uittenbogaard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Team,

The DHCP server In my IOS router (adventerprisek9-mz.151-3.T3) has a couple of fixed DHCP bindings.

ip dhcp pool philipshue

host 10.22.1.42 255.255.255.0

client-identifier 0100.1788.0a64.56

dns-server 8.8.8.8

!

ip dhcp pool philipshue2

host 10.22.1.43 255.255.255.0

client-identifier 0017.880a.6456

dns-server 8.8.8.8

!

The Philips Hue light bridge registers with the following MAC address, even though a client-identifier is configured!

10.22.1.131          0017.880a.6456          Mar 72 2014 18:63 PM    Automatic

This is not picked up by the configuration.

Any idea why?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

blau grana
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Dirk,

Problem is with implementation of DHCP on various OS. Some OS use client-identifier, some use "broken" client-identifier and some use hardware address (MAC).

My Ubuntu 10.04 use MAC address as identifier, so to make static reservation for my laptop, I need to configure hardware-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Best Regards

Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Best Regards Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

View solution in original post

Hi,

as already explained in a previous answer you'll need the hardware-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx command in your host pool instead of the client-identifier command but first you'll have to clear your dynamic binding.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

blau grana
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Dirk,

Problem is with implementation of DHCP on various OS. Some OS use client-identifier, some use "broken" client-identifier and some use hardware address (MAC).

My Ubuntu 10.04 use MAC address as identifier, so to make static reservation for my laptop, I need to configure hardware-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Best Regards

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately this is an appliance (Philips Hue lamp zigbee controller) where I don't have root access ;-)

Hope that anyone has a tip to catch these strange client-identifiers!

DJ

Hello,

It is definitely not a final solution and certainly not scalable one, but you can allow these host to obtain IP from dynamic pool and from output of show ip dhcp binding copy client-identifier/hardware-address to configure static DHCP.

Best Regards

that's what I did..  the last output in my question is actually from the show ip dhcp binding

10.22.1.131          0017.880a.6456          Mar 24 2014 18:63 PM    Automatic

The identifier for this device is 2 characters shorter than any of the others, and not accepted with the 2 static DHCP entries I created.

Maybe this is some scenario that I have to live with as it can't be fixed.. If that's the case, just let me know ;-)

Hi,

as already explained in a previous answer you'll need the hardware-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx command in your host pool instead of the client-identifier command but first you'll have to clear your dynamic binding.

Regards

Alain

Ah! So sorry... My brain interpreted 'hardware-address' as 'mac address' and not the actuall command 'hardware-address' ;-)

Will try this asap.. Many thanks for the responses and patience..

Update: It's working!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card