cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router or ASA for our network

randy
Level 1
Level 1

I am working at a place that is using a Motorola RFS 4000 as its router.

We have on hand a Cisco 881w and an ASA 5505 and are debating using the 881w or the ASA as our router (first device attached to our adtran with 3 bonded T1's)

My thought is why not use the router for a router and the ASA for the firewall but co-worker wants to use ASA "only" because it matches

what we have in another office and it can route just like a router.

Feedback and advise is appreciated.

Randy

1 Reply 1

It really depends on how large your network is and what you need the devices to do. The router by default isn't as secure as the ASA is by default. But the router does have the capability to configure zone-based firewall which is stateful and is quite good if you ask me.

For efficiency I would say use both. Yes either one can perform your needed requirements (routing, vpn, firewall). Router is ofcourse better for routing, while ASA is better as a firewall. but for the most part I would look at your network size and work out from that. If you have a large network definately split the services and have the router do routing and the ASA vpn and packet inspections.  if you have a small network, then there isn't any need for both unless you have plans to expand in the not too distant future.

Marius

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card