Views
Helpful
Replies

Router recommendation

ynyng
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings:

I currently have a Cisco 3945 router deployed and I am reaching the CPU's max during peak usage. The 3945 supports ~500Mbps Fast/CEF Switching and I need something at least double that capacity. I need the ability to have at least 8 RJ-45 10/100/1000 connections. I also need the ability to NAT. Besides this, my configuration is very basic. Can anyone make an upgrade recommendation?                 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok.  Makes sense now.

Without any encryption on the links, ASR 1002 with RP 1 and ESP 5 is your minimum. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What bandwidth are you expecting?  Per-interface?

If you intend to double the bandwidth of a 3945, your next bet would be an ASR 1002, RP1, ESP5. 

Hi leolaohoo. Thanks for the reply. I am currently pushing very close to 500Mbps during peak times (120Mbps on two interfaces and 240Mbps on another), and I expect that number to increase over the next few months.

Looks like the router you recommended supports ~4,500Mbps?

I am assuming it has the capability to add RJ-45 10/100/1000 cards?

Thanks!

Looks like the router you recommended supports ~4,500Mbps?

You want to support 500 Mbps in 4 interfaces?

500Mbps total on 4 interfaces, but I need 8 total interfaces.

The ASR-1002, RP1, ESP5 supposedly can handle over four thousand Mbps?

The ASR-1002, RP1, ESP5 supposedly can handle over four thousand Mbps?

The figure is quoted in half duplex and without any encryption.

Ok, so you need 8 GigabitEthernet interfaces, the question is what is the TOTAL WAN bandwidth do you need now/later?

This figure decides whether you should get RP1 or RP2 and which ESP model you will need.

Total WAN bandwidth necessary = 250Mbps

Total WAN bandwidth necessary = 250Mbps

This statement doesn't correlate to this (below):

The 3945 supports ~500Mbps Fast/CEF Switching and I need something at least double that capacity.

So what is the total bandwidth you will require now and in the future?

If it's only 250 Mbps, then stick with the 3945.

Thanks for the replay leolaohoo. Maybe this will help clarify:

g0/0 = 110Mbps input + 10Mbps output --> internet

g0/1 = 10Mbps input + 110Mbps output --> users

g0/2 = 10Mbps input + 10Mbps output --> users

g0/1/0 = 120Mbps input + 120Mbps output --> WCCP caching server

This puts me at 500Mbps, correct?

Ok.  Makes sense now.

Without any encryption on the links, ASR 1002 with RP 1 and ESP 5 is your minimum. 

Great, that's what I was looking at as well. Thank you!

Hi leolaohoo - one more quick question. Can you help me determine what I need to achieve 8 GigabitEthernet interfaces with the router you recommended? I'm having some difficulty sorting out what cards I would need. Thanks for all your help.

Depends on the amount of spare slots, you can choose from either two SPA-4X1FE-TX-V2 or one SPA-8X1FE-TX-V2.

Cisco 4- and 8-Port 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX Fast Ethernet Shared Port Adapter

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps6267/product_data_sheet0900aecd804dc638.html

If you have available funds, two of the 4-port SPA would be good so that if you have one failure, the other half works.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card