cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router / Switch Emulators or Simulators

glen.krinsky
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a router/switch simulator or emulator that I can use to test configurations and changes without using equipment.  All the one's I have found are geared to the CCNA/CCNP exams and are not fully functional.  Anyone have any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Glen,

I suffered from the same experience. I suppose that nothing will fully replace the real equipment. For router emulation you can use for example GNS3, but when you come to switching it is a bit difficult. You can't emulate a switch ASIC and Cisco Packet Tracer haven't got implemented many features. So at some point you just need to configure real devices in lab. I have seen some sites offering remote access to cisco devices for learning purposes but they are not for free. I hope you will manage to get to the real devices for free so you can study and fully prepare for the exams!

Best regards,

Jan

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Perhaps something like GNS3, see www.gns3.net.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card