Views
Helpful
Replies

Router + Swtich to deploy MPLS

mmendis
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We are using Cisco 2851 router with Cisco 3550 /3560 switches for this setup. Main Idea is to deploy MPLS. Let me explain why we using a switch here.

1st reason is to deploy MPLS we need high MTU size. I thought of taking the Main link to 1st Onboard Port ( Port1 ) & 2nd OnBoard Port towards Switch side where I can connect all the other connections. Since switch support jumbo frames there won't be any issue for MPLS.

Can you guys suggest any improvemnts or issues with this setup ??

7 Replies 7

mmendis
Level 1
Level 1

Please refer the Attachment

any one please

Hi,

I am not sure what exactly you are asking about. You are saying you want to use MPLS. On which link is the MPLS intended to be run? Is it the uplink connected to Port1 on the router as depicted in the exhibit? Or do you want to run MPLS through the switch?

Please note that the switch will neither cause nor solve any MTU issues that may arise with using MPLS. Therefore, its inclusion into your network is, I believe, quite irrelevant from this point of view. Can you perhaps explain your intention in more detail?

Best regards,

Peter

Extremely sorry for the lack of information.

I'm working with a small ISP @ Srilanka. Currently we are using Cisco 2851 with 9-port HWIC cards on our nodes. As a future plan we planned to migrate to MPLS.

1st issue we faced was the MTU size ( HWIC card can't handle big MTUs ).

So as a solution we thought to move to Router + Switch setup . Where UPLink will terminated to Router on board port and other links will be connected to Switch, so in any case we want to enable MPLS we can straight a way do the configurations.

Hope this explains my intentions

Basically what I need is to come up with a good solution with what I have. It's very helpfully if I can have your all suggestions regarding this setup

Any Help

Doesn't make any sense. 

Your router will have two interfaces.  Your WAN interface can operate Jumbo frames but your LAN cannot operate Jumbo frames unless you have a 4500/6500. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card