cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router taking errors

jnojr
Level 1
Level 1

We've got an Ethernet router (2911) that's taking errors on Gi0/0, which is connected to an encryptor.  The errors are dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors  The description I'm finding by Googling isn't helping a whole lot... "A count of frames for which reception on a particular interface fails due to an internal MAC sublayer receive error."  Any input on what's likely to produce this sort of error?  If more info would be useful, a clue as to how to dig it out from SNMP would be helpful, as I don't have console access to this, and the only people who do are the ones who have, over the past several months; replaced the router, thought the encryptor might be "sending data too fast for the router to handle", and are now telling us that moving to a 6509 will surely fix the problem.  Yes, I have a couple of big forehead-shaped dents in my desk :-/

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please post the complete output to the command "sh interface Gi0/0".

Can't... I don't have console access.  And even if I did, this network is segregated from the Internet.

well it doesn't look like we are going to get very far if you do not have access to the router. we can't help if there is no information available about the router.

Fortunately, there is, via SNMP, as I mentioned in my post.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card