cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Throughput with ADSL2+

RJDavison_2
Level 1
Level 1

I've got an ADSL2+ Annex M broadband connection from which I'm currently getting about 18mb down and 2.2mb up.

I've got a series of routers/PIX which I want to put behing the ADSL modem and wondering which set-up will give me the best throughput. I'm predomintly going to be using the modem for static NAT and occassional EasyVPN Server connections.

I'm going to be connecting about 4 computers and a Slingbox media streamer.

1. 1721/1751 or 1760 with WIC-4ESW.

2. 2651 with 2900 switch.

3. PIX501

I know the 2651 is the better machine, but want to keep the components to a minimum, so one of the 1700 series or PIX501 would be my preference provided they dont throttle down my ADSL connection - I'm aware that this will probably happen when using the VPN facilities of the routers.

PS, the 1700 series have a MOD1700 VPN card installed and the 2651 has a AIM-VPN/EP card installed.

Does anyone have any experience or give guidence.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

See the attached PDF for the actual numbers. The 1700 series can not handle 18mb of traffic, but the 2651 can. I doubt a PIX501 can either.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

See the attached PDF for the actual numbers. The 1700 series can not handle 18mb of traffic, but the 2651 can. I doubt a PIX501 can either.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Colin. Thats perfect. Just what I was looking for.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card