Views
Helpful
Replies

Router with two EIGRP AS

NormMuelleman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all;

I'm tinkering with some routing principals to get ready to take my CCNP ROUTE. I just took CCNP SWITCH and passed a couple weeks ago.

Can a router running eigrp have two eigrp AS's and route between the AS's? For example:

I have two routers on the left; ISP 1 and ISP 2. I have a router on the right, Router 4. I have a router in the middle, Border Router.

The router on the right, router 4, is a "cloud" per se. I'm practicing PBR routing. I have a serial link between Border RTR and ISP 1. I have Fast Ethernet between Border RTR and ISP 2.

The ISP 1 and 2 are in AS1; the "cloud" or R4 is in AS 2. So, I have the appropriate interfaces configured as router eigrp 1 and router eigrp 2.

The border router has all three routes in it's ip route. It can see all eigrp neighbors.

The ISPs can see the border router as "connected", and see the other ISP as a "D" eigrp entry. But they can't see the "cloud". The cloud can see the border router, but not the ISP routes.

I'm thinking this has something to do with a redistribute statement. Any thoughts? It's the middle of the night where I'm at, and I'm stuck on this one.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Raju Sekharan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can a router running eigrp have two eigrp AS's and route between the AS's?

Yes. below link has configuration example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094cb7.shtml#twoeigrpauto

Raju

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Raju Sekharan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can a router running eigrp have two eigrp AS's and route between the AS's?

Yes. below link has configuration example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094cb7.shtml#twoeigrpauto

Raju

Thanks much! I KNEW it had to do with redistribution...but I forgot about the route map for the two AS's..I was focused on the policy route map for the preference in the links. Thanks again! I need to head to bed

Humm..should have put it away for tonight

Ok, I followed the Cisco example. On my middle router, which I call BorderRTR, I have the two AS's, 1 and 2.

AS1                                                                                                         AS2

ISP 1  ------

-----

--------------------------- BorderRTR  ----------------------------- RTR4

-----

------

ISP2

On the border router, I have EIGRP 1 and EIGRP 2. On the ISP 1 and ISP 2 router's, I have EIGRP 1 On RTR 4, I have EIGRP 2

So, on the Border RTR:

I have put in the route-maps just like the Cisco site; router eigrp 1 has:

router eigrp 1

redistribute eigrp 2 route-map eigrp1

network xxxxxx

network xxxxxx

no auto-summary

router eigrp 2

redistribute eigrp 1 route-map eigrp2

network xxxxx

no auto-summary

I have the route maps defined under eigrp1 and eigrp 2, calling out each other.

In ISP 1 and ISP 2, the sho ip route command has the directly connected, the "internal" or D eigrp ip route of the other ISP router, and then the "external" route to the RTR 4. Yeah! That's working correctly!

But the route is not showing up on the RTR 4..it's only showing the directly connected route to the BorderRTR.

What gives? The neighbors are showing up correctly. On the BorderRTR, when I sho ip eigrp topology:

Topology Table AS1

the RTR4 shows up as 1 successor, via Redistributed

The directly connected ISP 1 and 2 show via connected....

Topology Table AS2

The RTR4 route shows 1 successor, via Connected.

Everything looks like it "should" be working. The route from RTR 4 is getting to ISP 1 and ISP 2. But it's not going in the reverse..RTR4 isnt getting ISP 1 and ISP 2.

Any thoughts?

Hi Norm,

Whn you do redistribution with route-map, it will not redistribute the connected routes in the routing table

You need to specifically add redistribute connected to advertise the connected routes. Here also you can use route-map if you need to filter

Thank you

Raju

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card