Views
Helpful
Replies

Router

Mike301
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am working on my very first project of the university networks ( it's part of my bachelor thesis). I am working on a cisco packet tracer however, I am confused that which router should I use. There are many routers. (like 4321,2901.1841) I will appreciate it if you share some information about routers and how to choose the right one?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In something like Packet Tracer, as Seb describes, you mostly select a router based on the number and/or kind of interfaces supported. This also applies in the "real world" although, additionally, router model is also selected for its forwarding capacity. For example, a 4321 would have much more capacity than an 1841. (Also in the "real world", part of your selection criteria might be where the router is in its life cycle. e.g. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/eol_c51-625662.html)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

All the routers will offer the same functionality, however different models will have differing numbers/ types of fixed interfaces and availability of WAN interface cards.

cheers,

Seb.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In something like Packet Tracer, as Seb describes, you mostly select a router based on the number and/or kind of interfaces supported. This also applies in the "real world" although, additionally, router model is also selected for its forwarding capacity. For example, a 4321 would have much more capacity than an 1841. (Also in the "real world", part of your selection criteria might be where the router is in its life cycle. e.g. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/eol_c51-625662.html)

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card