Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing solution between intersite

We have 2 sites(Site DL1 and DL2)  and each site has 3850 switches (2 switch stack).

DL1 and DL2 have different separate network. but there is a requirement that DL1 should be able to access a new network (10.98.x.x) that is connected to DL2.  DL1 and DL2 will be connected to each other through a fiber uplink port (Gi1/1/1 and Gi2/1/1) on each stack. 

What is the best way to achieve it. Should i create a port channel on 2 port with an IP (192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2) and do routing.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How does DL2 know about 10.98.x.x is it directly connected interface on the stack itself a vlan svi or is 10.98.x.x on a directly connected to another device hanging off DL2

does DL2 already connect to DL1 in anyway, is either device currently doing routing ,  you have the option to either run straight layer 2 trunk or access port with just that vlan or you could run ip routing if your stacks support that as you suggested, but ye I agree run a port-channel for redundancy , and split the po across both switches in the stack no matter what way you connect l2 or l3 , whether you switch or route I suppose is personal decision, switch can extend the broadcast domain for the subnet but its simpler to configure maintain and can be faster , routing though has its advantages as well

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply

10.98.x.x will be connected to DL2 via another device.  DL2 will use (192.168.34.1 & 2) to connect to another router to reach 10.98.x.x.  Currently DL1 and DL2 do not connect to each other. I have attached a diagram for better understanding. 

based on this setup, should i use IP on port channel b/w DL1 and DL2?

If it was me looking at your topology I would do routing yes between the 2 stacks if supported rather than trunking it as its not directly on DL2 , ip port-channel l3
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card