Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN Configuration

keegan_958
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon Geniuses!! 

Hoping I can borrow your brains for a weird configuration issue.

I Currently have 3 switches that are involved in using "Monitor session 1 destination VLAN 900". And a fourth switch using VLAN 900 as source, and 3 physical interface ports as destination (in 2 seperate monitor sessions using the same number). This part is configured and working properly.

monitor session 1 source vlan 900
monitor session 1 destination interface Gi1/0/23
monitor session 1 destination interface Gi2/0/18 , Gi2/0/23

The section we are trying to configure is a bit hazy to me, so please forgive me if It doesn't make sense.

We are looking to Monitor the same ports on the 3 "Source" switches, but have another destination configured on the 3rd switch, however, switch 3 also has some source ports locally. 

Switch 1 --> Source = several physical interfaces

--> Destination = VLAN 901

Switch 2 --> Source = Several physical interfaced

--> Destination = VLAN 901

Switch 3 --> Source = Several Physical interfaces AND VLAN 901

--> Destination = Physical interface

Is this possible? I was hoping to deliver a diagram for this question, unfortunately I have not had a chance.

Thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

there are possibilities, but there may be limits depending on the switch model

basically on de source switches you start a "monitor session 2..." destination vlan 901

and of course, when too much incoming traffic is sent to a single port out, some traffic may be dropped.

this goes for the link between the switches and for the destination monitor port

combining physical ports and vlan as source should be no problem

The switch supports any number of source ports (up to the maximum number of available ports on the switch) and any number of source VLANs.

please read: Catalyst Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) Configuration Example

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card