cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP changes port role to disabled

mestasew1
Level 1
Level 1

I am troubleshooting a laptop wired network connection and found that the RSTP disable a port  when that particular laptop is connected. when I connect another laptop the port transition to forwarding state. I configured the port fast on the port and verified the laptop speed and duplex, updated network driver and run diagnostics. Every thing looks fine but when connected to the laptop the port will transition to disabled.

I am wondering what configuration or settings (other than speed and duplex)  on clients can change access switch port STP state ?

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

What software is running on the laptops? Could be the laptop is sending stp bpdu to the switch.You could verify what is happening on the switch port using wireshark.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hi John,

I thank you for your response. the laptop is running windows 7 OS. I thought BPDU messages are created and exchanged among the participating switches not from connected clients.

The idea of using wireshark is good.  I will see how wireshark can be used to capture remote switch port traffic.

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card