cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP VS RPVST+

notaciscoguy
Level 1
Level 1

so I am trying to wrap my head around the finer points of spanning tree. I understand that PVST is the cisco-proprietary method of implementing 802.1d on multiple vlans and by extension RPVST is the cisco proprietary method of implenting 802.1w on multiple vlans. my question(even though I know it would be poor practice), is whether there is a way to implement plain old RSTP on a switch with all ports thrown on a single vlan or if cisco switches just automatically implement RPVST? 

the reason is I often see spanning tree questions ask for the proper commands to implement RSTP but then answers all tell you to type the commands to implement RPVST instead. 

4 Replies 4

Moses Fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is the default settings on cisco 2900 Switch.

VLAN0001
  Spanning tree enabled protocol rstp
  Root ID    Priority    32769

Hello Time   2 sec  Max Age 20 sec  Forward Delay 15 sec.

32769 = 32768+1 (1=Vlan ID)

By Default all the ports are in the same Vlan. (Vlan 1)

If you find a post helpful, Don't forget to mark it as helpful !!

Regards,

Moses.

so by default the switch will not change to RPVST+ unless you configure a second VLAN? 

@notaciscoguy wrote:

so by default the switch will not change to RPVST+ unless you configure a second VLAN? 

Not sure why a cisco switch will change the spanning tree mode which is not compatible (with non cisco switches). After all 802.1'w' and 'd' RSTP and STP are industry standard.

Is RPVST+ a industry standard?

A question I'll ask myself is..

In an all cisco switching environment where we've implemented RPVST+ and everything is working fine....

1. What happens when we bring in a non cisco switch that doesn’t support RPVST+

2. What happens to the loop prevention mechanism then?

3. Why keep a setting as default that doesn't work in all situations?

4. (bonus) Cisco recommends to disable Vlan 1.. Why doesn’t Cisco disable Vlan 1 by default.

The more we question to more we learn.

(To answer your question :- The next vlan you create will also be RSTP)

If you find a post helpful, Don't forget to mark it as helpful !!

Regards,
Moses.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Hmm, perhaps the closest you might come to once instance of RSTP would be to use MSTP and place all VLANs in one instance.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card