cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV routers

Terp84Alum
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to upgrade my client's hardware from the residential Linksys router to potentially a RV router. Right now, I am using subnets with two routers to separate the "private" network from the "public" network. My client operates a coffee shop offering free wifi. They only have one DSL line. The "private" network uses the DSL line to process (encrypted) credit card transactions. The current setup is somewhat unstable as the Linksys APs tend to disconnect from the "public" network requiring frequent hardware restarts. I'm hoping that the RV router will accommodate this setup as I think it is somewhat typical these days. Am I on the right track? Can the ethernet ports be assigned to different networks? The RV routers are the price range I'm trying to stay in. Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Ken
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RV180 or RV042, RV082, RV016.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Terp,

The RV120w, RV180W and RV220W all should sufficiently do what you're trying to accomplish. Depending on how many users in the coffee shop may peak, I would recommend you gravitate toward the RV220W or RV180W as they have a much stronger processing power.

All 3 mentioned routers can support VLANs and have a separate subnet for the Ether ports and SSID as desired.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks. I don't necessarily need wifi on the router as it is located in a room with very limited signal. On the public side, we are using Unifi ceiling mount APs. The coffee shop has one AP and the pizzeria has another AP. The secure network has a Linksys AP in an office for handheld POS terminals. Given that, what model do you recommend? RV180? I would say the user load is roughly 10 users (POS terminals) and say maybe 30 at peak wireless connections on the public side. I'll probably move forward on your recommendation. Are you available to help configure? Thanks again.

Ken

RV180 or RV042, RV082, RV016.

-Tom

Thanks. I'll probably go with the 180 since I don't anticipate needing more than one WAN port. That's the primary difference between the 180 and the others, right? Thanks again.

Ken

I need a little additional info. Right now, I manage the wireless access points on the public side with a desktop on the secure side. Will this still be available to me or will I need a PC on the public side as well? I connect remotely to manage the network and would like a single PC to do this. If you need clarification, let me know. Thanks

Ken
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card