cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 as a switch?

bewanmona29
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco RV325 router that I got from a goodwill a while back and I have had not much need for it up until now. I had a network switch that just died and it's gonna be a minute before I can replace it and I need to get something up and running with the same amount of ports so I pulled this out. I have been messing with it for a while and I cannot seem to set it up right.

How can I set this router up to act like a switch? I had it working at one point and then I power cycled it by acident and it stopped working like a switch.

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

RV325: Fourteen 10/100/1000 RJ-45 ports, one 10/100/1000 RJ-45 Internet port, one 10/100/1000 RJ-45 DMZ/Internet port

as long as you only use the first 14 ports it will behave like a switch
>>> I had it working at one point and then I power cycled it by acident and it stopped <<<
you need to save the configuration you got working, else it returns to default after power off-on

you may need to disable DHCP service if you have another divice that performs this function

Mr Leo
Level 1
Level 1

To configure your Cisco RV325 router to act as a switch, follow these steps:

Connecting to the Router: You will first need to connect to the router. This can be done either through an Ethernet cable by connecting it to one of the router's LAN ports and to your computer, or through Wi-Fi if the router supports wireless connectivity.

Logging into the web interface: Open a web browser and enter the IP address of the router in the address bar. The default IP address can be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. If these addresses don't work, check your router's documentation for the correct address. After entering the IP address, you will be asked for a username and password. The default is usually admin/admin or admin/password, but this can also vary depending on your router model and previous settings.

Configuring in bridge mode: After logging into the web interface, you need to find the section of settings responsible for the mode of operation of the device. Look for a section that may be called "Advanced Settings", "Operation Mode" or similar. In this section, you will need to select "Bridge Mode" or similar, which disables the routing features and allows you to use the device as a switch.

Saving Settings: After selecting the desired mode of operation, don't forget to save the settings by clicking the appropriate button which can be labeled as "Apply" or "Save Settings".

Rebooting the router: After saving the settings, you may need to reboot the router to apply the changes. This is usually done automatically, but if not, you can do it manually via the web interface or by simply unplugging and reconnecting power.

Note that the exact names of the sections and options may vary depending on the router's firmware version, so you may need to explore the web interface a bit to find the settings you need.

If you can't find the settings to switch your router to bridge mode, it may mean that your model doesn't directly support such a feature. In that case, as an alternative, you can try disabling the DHCP server in the router settings to prevent the router from issuing IP addresses and connect all devices to the LAN ports, leaving the WAN port unoccupied. This is not a perfect solution and may not work for all usage scenarios, but it may work as a temporary solution.

@bewanmona29 wrote:

I have a cisco RV325 router that I got from a goodwill a while back and I have had not much need for it up until now. I had a network switch that just died and it's gonna be a minute before I can replace it and I need to get something up and running with the same amount of ports so I pulled this out. I have been messing with it for a while and I cannot seem to set it up right.

How can I set this router up to act like a switch? I had it working at one point and then I power cycled it by acident and it stopped working like a switch.

Connect your computer to one of the LAN ports on the router using an Ethernet cable. You might need to set a static IP address on your computer in the same subnet as the router's default IP address (usually something like 192.168.1.1).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card