cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Schedule reload of 3650 while upgrading to Gibraltar 16.12.3a

aweise
Level 1
Level 1

The upgrade procedure for the 3650s is pretty straightforward - install add file flash:<name> activate commit

When I've upgraded previous IOS-XE trains, I'd simply do the install, then schedule the reload for our maintenance window (reload at hh:mm). However, it appears this has to be done manually with Gibraltar - that is, we can't install the new IOS during the business day, as the "activate" subcommand triggers the reload...and there doesn't seem to be a way around that.

Does anyone know of a trick with Gibraltar and this command to be able to schedule the reload?

3 Replies 3

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

I don't think so if you want to stick with install mode. 

in bundle mode, you can load the new image, set your boot statement, and set the reload timer, just like you're used to.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

unfortunately, you have limited options here: unlike old bin file, copy and schedule for reloading.

Anyway, after the upgrade some time required to do a  basic check all working as expected. so you can make an upgrade at the same time and check. if business so critical, you definitely need a controlled upgrade and test as I see.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/16-12/release_notes/ol-16-12-3650.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are several commands to upgrade in Install Mode. 

1.  When upgrading from 3.X.X, try

software install file flash:<filename.bin> new force verbose on-reboot

NOTE:  The "on-reboot" is a "bug" because it is meant to be "no-reboot" (CSCve94966), which is self-explanatory.  

2.  When upgrading from 16.X.X, try

request platform software package install all file flash:<filename.bin> new auto-copy verbose

NOTE:  The command will unpack the BIN file but WILL NOT REBOOT the switch/stack.  

IMPORTANT:  

Before rebooting the switch/stack, make sure to check the following: 

1.  The boot variable string is pointing to the correct file: 

boot system flash bootflash:packages.conf

2.  Make sure all the packages in the "packages.conf" are pointing to the new firmware version: 

For 3650/3850

more flash-X:packages.conf | b for NOVA

For Cat 9300

more flash-X:packages.conf | b CAT9

IMPORTANT:  

• Run the same command on each switch member.  Don't presume/assume.  Verify each switch member will boot up reading the same version.  
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card