Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Port Resillancy

olsonkyle12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a single host that has 2 ethernet ports.  I'm interested in configuring ethernet redundancy to the server using the two ethernet ports on the server.  My preference would be to uplink the server from two seperate switches and provide "Active/ Active" configuration, so that both ports are actively communicating.  Is this possible, or is it not possible due to "a-syncronise" switching issues.

What are my options?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

This will not work - active/active from a layer 2 perspective on seperate switches is counter productive.

If you want to take advantage of "bundling" the 2 interfces together to increase thru-put and redundancy - the connection to a single switch is required.  Otherwise you have have "failover" using active/passive on seperate switches.

HTH>

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

It is all up to what switches you have.

If you are using Nexus switches I know that you should be able do this on 2 nexus 5010 (works with etherchannels from 3750).

You could do it on a 3750 stack. ie connect to two different switches in the stack.

I have not done it myself on a 6500 but I have heard that it is possible.

so if you want to do it on a 3750 stack then it should be quite easy.

but then again a stack is not two separate switches. they are still one logical unit.

Good luck

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card