Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Service Module Session

I am configuring SPAN on catalyst 6509. As per the show monitor command I have one session that is running for local span that i can understand but other is Service module session:

Session 80
----------
Type                   : Service Module Session

Modules allowed        : 1-9
Modules active         : 1
BPDUs allowed          : Yes

Could someone explain its purpose and if you can provide some reference docs as i searched and couldn't find any thing or may be i was searching wrong.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I am configuring SPAN on catalyst 6509. As per the show monitor command I have one session that is running for local span that i can understand but other is Service module session:
Session 80
----------
Type                   : Service Module Session

Modules allowed        : 1-9
Modules active         : 1
BPDUs allowed          : Yes
Could someone explain its purpose and if you can provide some reference docs as i searched and couldn't find any thing or may be i was searching wrong.
Thanks

Hi ,

Service module session is used to take session of modules like FWSM , WLAN or NAM modules which are normally slotted on 6500 series switches.

For example.

1    3  ASA Service Module                     WS-SVC-ASA-SM1     SAL1813P1P8
  2    4  WiSM 2 WLAN Service Module             WS-SVC-WISM2-K9    SAL1815QD32

If you want to session on ASA service module from 6500 switch then you do service-module session slot 1

Hope it Helps.

-GI

rate if it Helps

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks for the response.

Could you please tell any way to remove this session from config as I have to configure another local SPAN and the only possibility is to remove this default session.

Thanks

Muhammad Hamid Ashraf

Hello Muhammad,

With My exp. i have not changed service module session and use the slot for SPAN session for analyszer.

Just for your information only 2 full span sessions (Rx & Tx) are indeed the limit in 6500 series switch. Check out the below link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd803e508c.html

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card