Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting LAG on SG 200-50 cause network connectivity issue

botask001
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,

First i try to explain whats happening. Month ago we experienced network connectivity issues. (mainly servers can't reach the router/gateway. But not all, sometimes A server sometimes B server...)
 The hole problem was a big ghost for us. 
 We started to isolate the problem. (change the router, off some SOHO wifi routers)

Our servers schematically:

We have an Intel modular server with two host, an intel storage server. Under vmware we have some server (An SBS2011, Some terminal server, some windows 7, etc..)

The modular server, storage server, and anything else is are hard-wired together via Cisco SGE2000.

So at now we tougth we have to change this switch (because all connection going trougth on the switch so its a good point to start / continoue investigation here)

So we have a spare Cisco switch Cisco SG 200-50. 

First the Cisco SGE2000 configuration:

Mainly there is a "default" configuration on this switch. One default VLAN, every funciton is off (like spannin tree). We have two LAG configured. 
    - LAG 1 for the modular server two leg.
    - LAG 2 for the storage server two leg.

On the replacement switch - SG200-50 - try to set up everyting same:

I keep every function on default. (did'nt touch the spannin tree or anything). Patch all the cable to the same port. Set the two LAG.

The problem is the following: 

The replacement switch have a "new" option to set up on the LAG Management part called LOAD Balance. 
 There is two radio button there:

- MAC based --> This one is selected by default.
   - IP / MAC based

So with keeping the default settings, there is a problem with the connection. Namely: I can't reach the storage server. (no ping, can't reach). If i change the balace to IP / MAC based, the connection restored. But the connection was droppin' somethimes for a few seconds/minutes. (if i check the ping then drop for 10-15 lines than come back).

So i keep the old switch for the stroage connection and linked with the new switch.

Any idea whats wrong?

Thank you

BK

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card