Views
Helpful
Replies

change 6509 supervisors

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have to change the 2 supervisors in a 6509, this new SUP come with a new firmware, is there any procedure I will have to follow and any later verification I will have to do after the change?

thanks all.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Ok if you are changing both then as long as both have the same exact IOS, you should be fine. The show commands I provided above will help you in knowing if the sups are functioning properly.  Don't forget to configure them in SSO (redundant) mode.  Once it is configured, the primary sup should show as active and the backup sup should show as hot stand-by.

sh redundancy

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

Just plug it in and you should be good.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Hello Rajeev,

Thanks for that, but I would like to have some troubleshooting tips.

Thanks

Hi,

If you are trying to replace the 2nd sup and the sups are running in SSO mode (redundant), than you want to make sure the sesond sup has the same IOS as the primary before installing it.  If not SSO will not work.  Also, once both sups are on line, issue "sh redun" command, this will show you if the redunancady is working.  The other good command to verify is "show module"

HTH

Hello Reza,

I'm changing both the supervisors, they are the same the only difference is that the version is newer.

Thanks

Hi,

Ok if you are changing both then as long as both have the same exact IOS, you should be fine. The show commands I provided above will help you in knowing if the sups are functioning properly.  Don't forget to configure them in SSO (redundant) mode.  Once it is configured, the primary sup should show as active and the backup sup should show as hot stand-by.

sh redundancy

HTH

Reza,

This will be the configuration?

Router(config)redundancy

Router(config-red)mode sso

Router(config-red)end

Router# show redundancy states

Hi,

Yes, your config looks correct.

HTH

Hi,

yes, Also you can verify be " show redundancy status " and it should in SSO mode like below .

C6K1#sh redundancy 
Redundant System Information :
------------------------------
       Available system uptime = 9 weeks, 5 days, 13 hours, 59 minutes
Switchovers system experienced = 0
              Standby failures = 0
        Last switchover reason = none

Hardware Mode = Simplex
    Configured Redundancy Mode = sso
     Operating Redundancy Mode = sso

If you see other mode (RPR) than there some difference between active and standby sup.

It can be due to IOS mismatch or due to some configuration which causing sync issue. 

Anyway " sh redundancy status " will give reason why it was not sync. If sync failure happened due to some configuration then you can use below command to identify the difference.

show redundancy config-sync failures mcl 

HTH

Regards,

VS.Suresh.

*Plz rate the usefull posts *

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card