Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up multicasting

autocontrol
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have been asked at work to buy a switch/router and set up a multicast system for the terminals around the building.

What is happening is we are installing a large amount of new equipment and need to change how the network is set up. What we will have is a few terminals around the building that send data to a central server. We need to also send the information to a stand alone PC. We cannot change anything on the server so multicasting via software is out leaving configuring it inside the router. The terminals will apparently be set up before they are sent over to allow multicasting but it is up to us to get the correct router/switch and set up the network.

now the server has comms in both directions with the terminals but the PC that I am setting up only cares about what is sent from the terminals to the server. Basicly it just wants to listen in on the comms.

Now where I am running into the trouble is I do not know how to set up multicasting and all I seam to be able to find is based on media streaming. Is someone able to point me somewhere that talks about how to set it up?

The other part that I am having trouble is is finding a router/switch that can handle the connections as well as multicasting. But as I do not know to much about multicasting I am not to sure what to look for. I understand the concepts behind mulicasting just not how to set it up.

Any help from anyone on where to look or what router I need would be great.

We need to connect about 10 terminals, 1 server, 1 PC and 3 PLCs to the router/switch.

thanks for the help

1 Reply 1

The configuration for multicasting would be something like the following:

ip multicast-routing distributed

interface vlan 10

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

interface vlan 20

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

The vlans are of course the vlans to which the different devices are connected to. And there must be connectivity to the multicast source.

One device that can do this is the catalyst 3560.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card