Helpful
Replies

setup between cisco switches and HP Virtual connect c7000 chassis

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

The switches are stacked together

Can anyone tell me what the recommended setup should be betweeen a cisco switch and a HP virtual connect blade chassis c7000

On the back of the blade chassis there are 2 HP switches, basically we have 1 etherchannel to 1 switch and 1 etherchannel to the other switch on the chassis.

We were getting mac flaps appearing so someone has put in static macs and applied them to each of the port channels, is this correct?

I need to know this info as we are having major issues with these servers, I have done a pcket capture from the back and all I see is retransmissions / Duplicate acks and tcp out of order packets

Can someone let me know asap

cheers

Carl

4 Replies 4

Hello,

Sounds like you have a loop! - Are the two cisco switches interconnected with each other. I assume the hps will be as their in a chassis.

Is stp enabled on all switches?

can you post the ethechannel config?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

etherchannel config

interface Port-channel30

description HP Blade Ethcnl-3

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 505,691-693,4000

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

this goes to switch 1 on the blade chassis

interface Port-channel40

description HP Blade Ethcnl-4

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 505,691-693,4000

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

this goes to switch 2 on the blade chassis

we also have static mac addresses configured on the switch

mac address-table static 0017.a477.040c vlan 691 interface Port-channel30hannel40

these were put on to stop the mac flaps

any ideas ?

cheers

Carl

meisemann7
Level 1
Level 1

What was the solution to this Carl?  We have a similar situation or maybe the exact same one.

Thanks,
Matt

My experience with HP switches is getting a bit dated, but the HP switch used MST (single spanning tree across all VLAN's) when I last used them. Cisco switches default to PVST (unique spanning tree instance for each VLAN). This caused some really strange and intermittent spanning tree behavior. I can't find an old config where I did that (it was over a decade ago), but I think that would be what is referred to as a "boundary port". https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12-2_52_se/configuration/guide/3560scg/swmstp.html#wp1143659 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card