Helpful
Replies

sfp-10g and 1 g

bluesea2010
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I want to connect two switches 

I have  10g sfp on one side another side 1g sfp , my expected traffic is only 500Mbps .

Does it work ?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@bluesea2010 wrote:
I have  10g sfp on one side another side 1g sfp

No, it won't.  

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Fiber does not know what traffic you using or sending. there is no mechanism in the Fibre auto-negotiation concept (like you expecting in Ethernet ?)

you need to use both side same SFP Optic to work, 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

have a look at the interesting article linked below. What hardware (switch models and SFPs) do you have ?

https://medium.com/@sylvieliu66/can-10gb-switch-port-link-to-gigabit-switch-port-aa2ca1c069d5

thanks for this link 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When directly physically connecting fiber between two switches . . .

Optical transceivers, e.g. SFPs, "speed" must match.

Optical transceivers must also be for the particular fiber media, and media length, being used.

Some SFP transceiver device ports, can support different "speed" transceivers.  E.g. a SFP+ port can support a 1Gbps or 10Gbps SFP transceiver, but, again, both end's/switch's transceiver must speed match.

If the two switches are not directly connected by the same fiber, i.e. there's some intermediate device, then you can often use totally different transceivers and/or fiber media connected to the switches even when the switchs "appear" to have a direct p2p fiber connection between them.  (Usually, when the forgoing is done, bandwidth is the same on both ends, but fiber media and optical transceiver types can be very different.  E.g. gig MM SX on one end, gig SM LX on other end.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card