Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP ports on Active and Standby supervisor engine

Hello Everyone,

We are expanding out LAN network wi th more 2960 access switches. All the access switches are suppose to be connected to core switch (4507R) but i have less port on the core switch.

On the core switch we have two supervisor engines (WS-X4515 ---description : "Supervisor IV with 2 1000BaseX GBIC ports"). I can see that on each supervisor engine i have two 1 GB SFP ports available and if i calculate for two supervioser engine i will have 4 1GB ports.

But at particular time only one supervisor engine is active and other is in standby mode (redundancy mode used is SSO between two SUP engines).

Can i used all 4 SFP ports for connecting 4 uplinks to the 4 access switch?

Will all the 4 SFP ports active at one time or only 2 SFP ports will be active that is for only active supervisor engine.

Kindly advise on the above issue.

Thanks in advance.

10 Replies 10

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Unfortunately the limitation is down the specific hardware or supervisor in this case. The 4515 Supervisor with RPR mode only interfaces 1/1 and 2/1 are available, with the 4516 all four are available. Please refer to the following link confirming the above:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/20ew/configuration/guide/RPR.html

Please rate helpful posts, thank you.

Regards
Allan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for your reply Allen.

Right now the redundancy mode is SSO not RPR. Is the limitations same also in SSO mode.

As per the given link, we can use only two ports in RPR 1/1 and 2/1 but always one SUP is active and other is standy, so can i used both port as active ports in the network.

Can i connect these two ports to two different switches as trunk links and both the switches will be active in the network.

Reg,
Fazal

with 1 sup , you could use all ports , you would be able to use only 2 in each sup on redundancy mode .

HI Vineesh,

Your answer is not clear to me. On two SUP we have 4 SFP ports. My question is how many SFP ports i can used on these SUP engines to connect trunk links to the switches.

All hardward details are in first post of this discussion

Thanks,

Fazal

fazal

2 interfaces ... 1 in each sup will be active i.e 1/1 and 2/1 . You could trunk it or bundle it based on your requirement .

As per the below link in table 3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_data_sheet0900aecd8035cf2b.html

`We can use only two ports out of 4 in redundant mode but which two ports its not clear.

In addition to this, out of two ports how many ports will be active at single time as one SUP is acitve other is standy by.

Any replies will be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi,

This should hopefully clarify the position regarding the use of the supervisor interfaces, this is taken from later updated release notes for both modes, and the situation hasn't changed it is only 4516 that allow all four to be used. Please refer to the configuration guide for your release software found at this location for confirmation of same:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

•When you use the WS-X4013+ and WS-X4515 supervisor engines in RPR or SSO mode, only the Gig1/1 and Gig2/1 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces are available, but the Gig1/2 and Gig2/2 uplink ports are unavailable.

•When the WS-X4516 active and redundant supervisor engines are installed in the same chassis, the four uplink ports (Gig1/1, Gig2/1, Gig 1/2, and Gig2/2) are available.

Regards
Allan

Thanks for your quick response Allan,

Yes i agree that only g 1/1 and g 2/1 interfaces are available but can these two interfaces can be used at the same time to different switches in the network because G1/1 will be on active SUP engine and G 2/1 will be on standby SUP engine.

Will G 2/1 will work as SUP will be in standby state.

I found this statement in your given link "When you use the WS-X4013+ and WS-X4515 supervisor engines in RPR or SSO mode, only the Gig1/1 and Gig2/1 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces are available, but the Gig1/2 and Gig2/2 uplink ports are unavailable."

Please clear my confusion.

Thanks for your continues support.

Hi,

With dual supervisors both gigabit uplinks are active and nonblocking this is gig 1/1 and 2/1 respectively. If you configure these with a port channel please ensure that you follow the guidelines when using pagp. Look at the following link regarding the uplink options of the SupIV:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_data_sheet0900aecd8035cf2b.html

Regards
Allan

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Fazal,

You can use 2 out of 4 SFP 1gig ports at a time when you have dual sup engine in place. If you have a single sup engine then you can use all the 4 SFP 1gig ports. But the active sup will have the uplinks up and running. If you want to use 2 uplinks on both the sup engines you have the EC configured for the same.

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card