Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 200-08 slows down Windows 10 network transfer speed to 11 MB/s

mcoskuntr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

For some reason, my computer suffers from network copy slowness (it never passes 11 MB/s ) every now and then. I can resolve the issue by restarting Cisco SG 200-08 switch I have on my desk. I would like to know what might be causing this issue. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

check the port settings in the GUI of the switch (see page 112 of the attached guide). Make sure you don't have a speed/duplex mismatch. 

Do you have Gigabit connections on your Windows machines ? Sometimes a basic thing such as cabling can be the problem, make sure you use at least Cat 5e or better.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/administration_guide/78-21139.pdf

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hello,

check the port settings in the GUI of the switch (see page 112 of the attached guide). Make sure you don't have a speed/duplex mismatch. 

Do you have Gigabit connections on your Windows machines ? Sometimes a basic thing such as cabling can be the problem, make sure you use at least Cat 5e or better.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/administration_guide/78-21139.pdf

Hi George, 

Thank you for the reply, the port settings appear as attached, I do not know how it was at the time of problem but I will surely be checking that out next time. I can tell you though my Network adapter displayed 1 GB connection and did not report any diagnostics errors. I have multiple NICs connecting from my workstation to this switch only one of them is configured with an ip address thought. Please take a look at the screenshots.

Hello,

as far as I recall, the recommended settings for VMWare adapters are auto negotiation. Can you check if that is configured on the switch ?

Hello,

also,since you have multiple NICs, you might want to try and bundle them in a LAG on the switch.

Each NIC serves to difference purpose. Three of them run on a specific VLANs for my VMs only one NIC runs on untagged VLAN and it is the only NIC provides networking my actual computer.

Hello,

understood, so a LAG is not an option. In the switch GIU under Port Management --> Port Settings --> Auto-Negotiation, is auto negotiation enabled for the port ?

I just found of that G1 of started to function in 100M speed not sure why. I have disabled the auto negotiate it was checked though.

Hello,

so with 100MB/Full Duplex your speed improves ? To be honest, with VM being a virtual and not a real adapter, standard settings might not apply...

Hello George, 

Thanks again, your help pointed me to the right direction and I think I have found the problem. I was using my UNIFI AP as jumping point for my SG 200's main network access. UNIFI AP Pro has gigabit ports two of them one is main the other one is called  secondary which I can use for any other device that I would like to have wired access. I have a SG 300-16P and was using it to provide UNIFI power and network via POE and secondary port was providing my SG 200-8 network access so some reason clearly this connection was degrading. I had to move the main cable to my SG 200-8 and use UNIFI POE adapter to provide UNIFI network and power. So I will be keep monitoring G1 to see if the degradion every happens again.

Restarting SG 200-8 was resolving issue so it can still be an issue on my switch I have tried to restart UNIFI-AP to no avail so that wasn't it.  

Anyhow, thanks a lot again for you help.

You get a Kudos! 

Glad you got it resolved !

I have kept everything at default and not sure how they would affect my actual LAN speed copying data from NAS or any other computer on the network. Take a look at the VMware network settings not sure where the auto negotiation setting is. This is not a common occurrence, if it reoccurs, I may reset my switch the factory default. 

Thanks for the follow up.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card