Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-28P slow performance.

ciscovet14994
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I am not an experienced network engineer and I need some help with my home network configuration, mainly due to the fact is seems to be running very slow. I have a SG300-28P and attached to it are 2 x WAP561. 

I have various different problems but I'll start with the a simple question first.....

I have 2 mac's connected directly to the SG300 wired and when I run a speedynet test (http://www.mauriciosantos.net/speedy-net.html) I am only seeing about 52Mb, can this be right ???

Thanks for any help

A. 

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

When you use the speed test and you get 52Mb, that doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong with your equipment.  It could also be the provider.  The first question is, what is your internet speed supposed to be? Also, have you talked to your provider about the speed you are getting?

HTH

Thanks Reza, however the 52Mb is the effective LAN speed as it's the speed between 2 PC's on directly on the switch, not the internet connectivity speed. 

I am trying to see if the config on the SG300 is correct as it's a gig switch therefore I would expect much high speeds on the LAN. 

a. 

Hi,

Sorry, I thought you are testing the Internet speed.  I am not familiar with the SG series switches, but you can start by looking at the speed the MACs are connected to the switch. Are they connected at 100Mb or Gig?  The other thing you may want to look at is any duplex mismatch setting on the switch ports and the NICs.

HTH

Thanks, that cool. 

I see the one of the PC's attached NIC is only capable of 100Mb and when I retested it then it I'm getting about 85Mb which I assume is closer to what I would expect. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card