Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

shoe logging buffer option

Hi,

I have cisco WS-C4500X-16 device. I have configure the logging buffer for the device. 

console#show running-config | i logging
logging count
logging buffered 4096

But in show logging I am not getting the buffer  option.

console#show logging ?
boot OS bootlog
count Show counts of each logging message
history Show the contents of syslog history table
onboard Onboard logging information
persistent Show the contents of the logging persistent
xml Show the contents of XML logging buffer
| Output modifiers
<cr>

I want to execute "show logging buffer -<count>" to get the last few system logs. But it does shows the options. As per my understanding all Cisco catalyst device supports this. Please let me know if I am missing anything during configuration.

Thanks & Regards

Santosh

7 Replies 7

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI,

I have checked on different CAT switches with different IOS version but it is not available. You have to use the "show logging" command. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Thanks for the update Deepak.

For which platform and from which version we have support of show logging buffer. 

Regards

Santsh

Hi,

As I know you can use "sho logging last 10" command in the nexus. 

You can use the following commands on the cat switches as:

terminal shell

sho logging | tail 10

It will show you the last 10 lines.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Thanks for the response.

I am doing the system log analysis for Catalyst 4x and 6x device. I cross check in 4x device "show logging last 10" not supported.

We do periodic polling of the system log and do the analysis. Show logging will give entire log and we don't want to over head the log processing. We want to get the log starting from some sequence number or last few logs which was generated after our last poll. 

Do we have any command in catalyst to get above output. 

Like N5K we have command "show logging logfile start-seqn <sequence number>"

Thanks & Regards

Santosh

Hi,

Fully Linux commands are not supported so you have to check with:

terminal shell

sho logging | tail 10

If you are Linux expert then find out the way to using the Tail/grep commands.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If I remember correctly, only those IOSs running an implementation of Linux support what you want. I don't recall it being supported in IOS or IOS-XE, but probably supported in IOS-XR.

alexsami
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like you are trying to view the buffered logging information on your Cisco Catalyst device. The "show logging buffer" command might not be available in the same way on all Cisco devices or software versions. Instead, you can use the "show logging" command to view the logs, and you can specify options to filter the output.

In your case, since you want to see the last few system logs, you can use the "show logging | last <count>" command. Here's an example:

console#show logging | last 10
This command will display the last 10 lines of the logging buffer. Adjust the number according to your needs.

If you want to see the entire buffered logging information, you can use:

console#show logging
Make sure to check the specific command syntax and available options for your device and software version using the context-sensitive help by typing "?" after the command:

console#show logging ?
This will display the available options for the "show logging" command on your device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card