cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show configuration register on stacked switches

useridisblank
Level 1
Level 1

Recently we upgraded a stack of 3650's. The upgrade process was successful and the switch elected as master booted as switch 1. The issue was that switch 1 had a confreg of 0x142 and not 0x102. In looking at other switches within the environment that require an upgrade, we are unable to find an obvious way to see the configuration register of all the stack members. Is there a command we can run remotely that will determine the configuration register of ALL stack members on a switch?

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"show version" should show you the version and the confreg number for the whole stack.

HTH 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When they are in the stack all in the same config reg - where do you see the difference ? can you post some example?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Here is the example:

Current state of switch 2 as primary / master. Typing show version displays confreg of 0x102 (which translates to 0x2102)

Say switch 1 has a confreg of 0x2142, you can't see what it's configured as unless it is master.

Switch 1, priority 1

Switch 2, priority 13

Switch 3, priority 12

Switch 4, priority 11

1 Member dc77.1111.2222 1 V03 Ready
*2 Active dc77.1111.2223 13 V03 Ready
3 Standby dc77.1111.2224 10 V03 Ready
4 Member dc77.1111.2225 11 V03 Ready

Change the priority of sw1 to something higher than 13, upgrade whole stack and reboot. Sw1 is now master but also confreg of 0x2142 and therefore the entire stack boots without a config. 

How do you see the confreg for ALL members of the switch stack?

I am not sure if there is a way to see all the config-registers for all switches including the master but to fix that issue, you may want to try these commands:

no system ignore startupconfig switch all

switch all config-register 0x102

wr

reload the stack.

HTH

@Reza Sharifi 

This is not an option:

Switch#show switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : dc77.1111.2222 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active dc77.1111.2222 14 V03 Ready
2 Standby dc77.1111.2223 13 V03 Ready
3 Member dc77.1111.2224 12 V03 Ready
4 Member dc77.1111.2225 11 V03 Ready

Switch(config)#switch all ?
% Unrecognized command

Switch(config)#switch ?

<1-9> Switch Number

Switch(config)#switch 1 ?

provision Configure Switch provision / offline config
Switch(config)#exit
Switch#switch all?

% Unrecognized command

Switch#switch ?

<1-9> Switch Number
clear Reset the switch mode to N+1

Switch#switch 1 ?

priority Set the priority of the specified switch
renumber Renumber the specified switch number
role Set the new switch mode of the Switch
stack Stack port enable or disable

There is no option to set the configuration register.

Ok. If that command is not available then you probably need to take that one switch out of the stack, fix the config-register issue, and then attach it back to the stack.

or just use:

Configuration register is 0x102 on the master switch and reboot.

HTH

@Reza Sharifi 

First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply back to the question.

What you've suggested is correct, we can console into each switch within the environment and manually check. We want to prevent having to do that which is why I posted the question to the Cisco community - is there a way to see the configuration register of each switch within the stack from the CLI without having to console into each switch individually? 

Thank you

I looked at several 3650 stacks and even a 3850 stack, and unfortunately, I was not able to see the command you are looking for.

There used to be a "session" command, so you could session to each stack member (once you telnet/ssh into the master) and see the config, config-register, etc.. but I don't see it anymore. I know the "session" command is not the command you are looking for, but at least you would have been closer to doing this remotely.

Cheers,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card