Views
Helpful
Replies

show mac-address-table not working on ASA5512

John N Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm unable to excute "show mac-address-table" on an ASA5512, running 9.1(1). The output is: 

asa-test# show mac-address-table
                 ^
ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Has the command changed for this model / version? It works fine on ASA5505's running 8.4(5).

Thanks for your time,

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

I am actually surprised that there is anything like show mac-address-table on an ASA box, as this command is more common on switches that maintain the MAC-to-switchport table. Did you perhaps mean show arp instead?

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

I am actually surprised that there is anything like show mac-address-table on an ASA box, as this command is more common on switches that maintain the MAC-to-switchport table. Did you perhaps mean show arp instead?

Best regards,
Peter

Ah, Peter, the smaller ASA5505 contains a built-in switch that the ASA5512 does not - "show mac-address-table" must be querying that. 

Thanks for your help,

John

Hi,

this command would indeed work on another ASA platform if this firewall was in transparent mode.

As you said the ASA 5505 is a little bit special because the interfaces are L2 switchports and so this command is also working in routed mode on this platform.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: