Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple Question..

joshhboss
Level 1
Level 1

how do I get this to stop. 

Jul 12 18:01:24.197 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.

Flooding the logs and I cant get it to stop lol 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@joshhboss wrote:

Using severity instead of Facility. for some reason with facility drops it wouldnt work. I tried copying every part of the log and it just kept failing.. but wow thank you so much for guiding me through to learning something new .. Love it..  

Hmmmm ... facility does not work, eh?  Try this: 

logging discriminator USB msg-body drops type.USB

(I propose this because dropping ALL type-6 logs is not ideal.)

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What IOS version is the switch on?

* 1 52 WS-C2960S-48FPS-L 15.2(2)E7 C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M

lagerplane
Level 1
Level 1

Do you see the line "media-type rj45" under "SW# show run | section line con 0" ? If you have that configured and you have a cable connected to the USB console port then you will see that message on the terminal / logs.

SiteOpsSw128# show run | section line con 0
line con 0
media-type rj45
usb-inactivity-timeout 1

There is nothing connected to the switch tho other then aps and small office routers

How often do you see those messages on the logs? every 1 minute?

Jul 12 20:03:40.002 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:04:23.625 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:04:40.152 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:05:40.380 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:06:37.384 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:06:40.409 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:07:27.394 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:07:28.636 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:07:40.638 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:08:07.640 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:08:11.641 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:08:38.643 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:08:40.662 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.
Jul 12 20:08:49.890 EST: %USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45

More often then that

lagerplane
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting, yes, frequency is lower than 1 minute. And just to confirm, are you in front of the Switch and can say 100% there is no USB console cable connected to the USB console port?

Also, how do you get access to this Switch CLI? via SSH / Telnet ?

I am not in front of it but I am the only one who configures switches out of our crew and I dont even own any other type of console cable then a usb c to rj45.. but now that they are on the network I access it using ssh 

Get someone to visually inspect the switch.  I think someone has left a generic USB cable dangling from the mini-USB port.  

The office is locked ill go check tomorrow.. in the meantime.. check out my newest post :). Always appreciate your input. 

Thank You !

lagerplane
Level 1
Level 1

I see, ok then to try to avoid that message. What if you do a "default usb-inactivity-timeout" followed by a "default media-type rj45" under the "line con 0" config mode?

Switch#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Switch(config)#
Switch(config)#line con 0
Switch(config-line)#
Switch(config-line)# default usb-inactivity-timeout
Switch(config-line)# default media-type rj45
Switch(config-line)# exit
Switch(config)#

Didn't help.. ill check the switch tomorrow 

@joshhboss wrote:
%USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW: Console media-type USB is disallowed by system configuration, media-type remains RJ45.

SiteOpsSw128# show run | section line con 0
line con 0
media-type rj45
usb-inactivity-timeout 1

I think this is an IOS bug.  

Either upgrade the IOS to 15.2(2)E9 or add a logging discriminator: 

conf t
 logging discriminator USB facility drops USB_CONSOLE-6-CONFIG_DISALLOW
 logging buffered discriminator USB 40960
 logging  console discriminator USB
 logging  monitor discriminator USB
end

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card