cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple SSH Connection 9400 Not Working

davsnet2000
Level 1
Level 1

Is there something different about configuring SSH on a 9407 with a C9400-SUP-1?  Currently there's no configuration on the device except for an IP address on the management port and ssh.  I've gone through the same procedures we've always used and verified it with the configurations from current equipment (4500).

I'm able to log in by remote ssh into another Cisco device and then into the new device, but I can't log in from my workstation directly.  From my workstation I can log in to all 30+ devices.

The workstation and active network device are in the same VLAN and the new device is in a Management VLAN.  I've never seen this behavior so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the new hardware.

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hope you Might have done Day 0 config ? ( or quick start setup ?) - do you have console access to the sup card? are you able to ping the device ?

if so please post-show run to look, also look below quick start guide 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/sec/b_166_sec_9400_cg/configuring_secure_shell__ssh_.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The configuration follows the link you sent me.  I can log into the switch by first logging into another switch and then hoping to it, but I can't log in from my desktop.

The software firewall has been lowered to rule that out, but I can't log in from any workstation.

The software firewall has been lowered to rule that out, but I can't log in from any workstation.

what SSH client do you use? what error are you getting when you try to connect the device?  This could be SSH  handshake issue.

try from PC see what error you get ?

hop from other switch and check logs give you information "show logging"

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

SSH client is Putty release 0.73.  It gives me no problems with any device I go to except the new 9400's.

Is there a License requirement to use the products now?  I can imagine companies locking down the hardware until the license file is added.

I get no errors in the switch logs or from Event Viewer on the desktop.  There's no error from putty either, the session just times out.

GraveDev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, looking to revive an old thread. Was anyone able to figure out a solution to this? I'm running into the same problem.

I ran the same commands to enable SSH on my C9200Ls and C9407 switches. I can SSH and ping my C9200Ls just fine, but I can't SSH into the C9407. I can only ping the C9407 from my firewall and other switches, but not from my computer.

Any thoughts?

I am not convinced that you do have the same problem. If you are not able to ping your 9407 then there is some IP connectivity issue. And that would likely impact SSH. Tell us about your environment. Post the running config of the 9407. On the device you are attempting to ping from look in the arp table. Is there an entry for the 9407?

HTH

Rick

arellanoleonard
Level 1
Level 1

I've noticed that on the 9407 and 9410s the "ip default-gateway" command does not work on these devices. Having a chassis as a layer 2 just doesn't seem to work. Add this to your routes "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 IPAddressOfNextHop" should be your SVI on the layer device. Once done you can remove the "no ip default-gateway"

The times I've seen the default gateway command fail is when IP routing is enabled. If you get a result from "show run | i ip routing" then the device uses the routing table to make decisions and you'd have to issue "no ip routing". 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card