cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2008 Smart Switch very slow

ianc
Level 1
Level 1

Have an SLM2008 Smart Switch(running ver 2 firmware) in a small network with file/media server, router and several PCs. It replaced a generic 8-port 100MB/s unmanaged switch. Main reason for changeover was to get access to 1GB/s speed.

The SLM2008 is VERY slow. Media streaming between server and media streamer is particularly bad and video freezes often. File transfer and internet also very slow. Going back to old switch is much faster, despite lower bandwidth.

Assume problem is setup of the SLM2008? Anyone got any ideas?

Noticed the SLM2008 is also very power thirsty of gets considerably warmer during operation than the old generic switch. Is this a tradeoff of 1GB/s switches or is the SLM2008 just hungry?

6 Replies 6

karsten1701
Level 1
Level 1

I bought the switch a week ago and have similar problems. The internet speed is good, but internal traffic is slow. Both Mac's run GB-LAN. I updated the firmware, what else can i do?

timmy
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem, brand new switch, traffic is running slower than with a generic unmanaged switch.

any suggestions are welcome

ianc
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting. I thought the idea of a manufacturer's support forum was to post answers to questions for access by the global IT community. Seems they are more for users to share their experiences with poorly supported product.

Maybe somebody from Cisco will evntually post an answer to the problem. Until then Cisco is off the list of recommended Ethernet equipment in our company.

Any news on the above topic ?

Some of our retailers complain about the same problem.

Can you recommend some faster type ?

Best Regards,

Didier.

Maybe CISCO use the same switch and the information has not yet reach them

Same problem here. I can't get speeds over ~500 Mbps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card