cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2024 portfast configuration

WKpenticton
Level 1
Level 1

we have two cisco slm2024 switches and one 3com (also supports stp and portfast configuration) 24 port switch

we have 4 servers all connected using gig to the 3com switch

all the workstation, servers and printers are connected to a combination of all three switches

to my understanding connecting workstations and servers to portfast enabled ports will help with connectivity and faster connect time

currently the three switches are conected via cat6 cables i understand i should not enable portfast on these ports because it can create looping is this correct.

my direct question is

i would only enable portfast on the ports which have a server or a computer connected to them? and nothing else

2 Replies 2

Hello

The portfast feature basically tells the switch ONLY host devices will be attached to this interface and as a result the  stp can be bypassed and the interface can be put straight into a forwarding state.

So in summary portfast = end users/servers/printers etc.. - anything but hubs or switches.

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

HI,

Most of it is added by Pdriver, just to make one note irrespective of switches the concept of Portfast remains the same.

The simple explanation is that PortFast will immediately transition a port to the forwarding state and not attempt to detect a switching loop unless a BPDU is received on the port with PortFast enabled. So plugging in multiple links on hubs, switches or bridges to the network can temporary switching loops.

Another major advantage of PortFast is that a TCN (Topology Change Notification) is not generated by spanning-tree each time a port goes up or down. This conserves resources as spanning-tree does not have to reprocess the tree every time a TCN is generated.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card