Views
Helpful
Replies

Small Office Network Setup Help

rjbm_exact
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

We are renting a small office in a floor which consists of many offices. The way internet is distributed here is, they have a verizon fios router and a couple of unmanaged switch, from which cables are run to offices for internet. One of the port on a switch is dedicated to our office.

In our office we have 6 computers and a network printer. The computers need to share files with each other and be able to print.

We want to isolate our office network from others. When we use an unmanaged switch, the version router dhcp assigns ip addresses to computers and we are able to access the internet. The verizon local ip is: 192.168.1.xxx. But we can also see computers that are of other offices, which means they can see us.

How do we create a separate network? Say we want to use  IP 192.168.10.XXX or 10.0.0.xxx. We just bought a 24 port managed (L2) switch.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, rjbm_exact. 

You definitely need a managed switch and a Cisco Small Business (200 or 300 series) can meet your requirements. You can setup separate VLAN to segregate user access level. Are you also looking at expanding your wireless (guest access)?

Let me know if you need more assistance or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) me directly. Kind regards. 

Not concerned about wifi at the moment. how do i setup the VLAN? how will the network look?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card