cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Install intermediate switch configuration ?

Hello,

I would like to deploy smart install for remote branches. The idea to just drop blank switch and let them auto install default config is great.

I just wonder what are the minimum config requirement for the hosting switch ?

Is there a way to let a 802.1X port change its default behaviour if it detects a cisco switch ?

or at least, is there a way to "open" a port with all the trunk settings for a sub-switch, and auto protect it if someone tries to plug a non cisco switch or something else (PC/Phone,...) ?

Thanks for your feedback,

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I just wonder what are the minimum config requirement for the hosting switch

Are you talking about ZeroTouch?  If yes, try this.

is there a way to "open" a port with all the trunk settings for a sub-switch, and auto protect it if someone tries to plug a non cisco switch or something else

Wouldn't make a difference anyway.  One of the things you need for ZeroTouch is to specify the exact model/sub-model.  So, let's say you specified a 2960 but someone's plugged a 3560.  Since it's not in your configuration, the switch does nothing.  It gets even better, say someone plugs an HP1824, again, the switch does NOT understand non-Cisco so it does nothing.

Now you want to enable Dynamic Ports so when someone plugs a PC, an auto macro for PC is envoked?  Hmmmm ... haven't tried this before.  But I'm not sure if this is do-able.  It'll make your switch configuration very complicated.

Thanks for your reply.

in fact I was too much focus on smart install, and I wasn't able to find other info.

I've found all the relevant info about setuping the vstack, but I was just wondering how I can configure the Interface section of the switch to allow plug n play setups.

It looks like the best way is (as you mentionned) to merge both smartport and smart install.

ie:

a port is by default setup as smart port:

-if a cisco switch is detected, then port loads the switch trunk configuration (trunk admin vlan, and vlans supposed to be used by the sub-switch)

-else it loads the 802.1X config with switchport port-security maximum to catch any "alien" switch

I just need to add better filtering things to limit and hardened the cisco switch detection.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card