Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Configuration on 3750 /2960 Switch

jahanzaib.pgis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to configure SNMP on cisco Switches 2960/3750 to get switches detail like UP/Down, overload, performance. I need configuration steps for it.

Amin

7 Replies 7

Hi Amin.

in the configuration mode enter use the folowwing command:

switch(config)# snmp-server community test RO // set snmp community test for read only (could be enough for you)

There are much more options like securing via snmpv3, source interface or access list security for my showing command.

look here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swsnmp.html#wp1059978

If you need more support just let me now, the shown command will enable on the swith without any access controll just the community which need to be known on both sites

regards,
Sebastian

If that help, pls. rate.

Hi,

What about the SNMP Manager? Who will be manager and who will be client?

And there are some user groups also?

Thanks with Best Regards,

Jehan Zaib Amin

Network Engineer

Tel : + 966 3 340 7536

Cell : + 966 54 6927848

Fax : + 966 3 340 7537

e-mail: amin.jehanzaib@petrolsteel.com

PETROL STEEL Co. Ltd.

P.O. Box 10162, Jubail Industrial City(31961)- 1,

Section N, Block 12, Land 2, Road 293,

Support Industries, Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia

To: jahanzaib amin

Date: 04/23/2011 03:36 PM

Subject: New message: "SNMP

Configuration on 3750 /2960 Switch"

jahanzaib amin,

A new message was posted in the Discussion thread "SNMP Configuration on

3750 /2960 Switch":

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3343713#3343713

Author : Sebastian Helmer

Profile : https://supportforums.cisco.com/people/s.helmer

Hi,

With my last post you enable SNMP on the switch and the switch will be the client.

what you need is a software to monitor that switch for the things you want..e.g. cisco works..

Hi,

We are using WhatsUp gold and solarwind monitoring software for it and we want to see that how these softwares display SNMP data from Switches.

What i undestand from the data sheet for SNMP we need to define following command to run SNMP properly on Switches:

# snmp-server 10.10.10.10                                           IP for monitoring software (WHATUP GOLD / SOLARWIND)

# snmp-server community public rw                              Define string PUBLIC as password

# snmp-server enable traps                                          Send all traps to HOST

# snmp-server host 10.10.0.10 version 2c Public            Can We give multiple commands for versions so what advantage?
# snmp-server host 10.10.0.10 version 1 Public

I want to know that why we need to make group /users. This user account will be for Monitoring server? So if we have user account on server with xyz then this user account we will make through following command:

Please brief the command for creating users with authentication.

Thanks

Amin

OK, Now I understand....

I would say you don't need to create groups/users.  This is only if you want to work with different SNMP Agents or if you want to use an access policy for more than one user. SNMPv3 provides secure access to devices by authenticating and encrypting packets.

You can create snmp groups just for management like I see, to create different SNMP views/access to your device. I never used it before...

If you see the command "snmp-server engineID", I'm sorry I don't understand that too...

To create groups and users pls use:

snmp-server group groupname {v1 | v2c | v3 {auth | noauth | priv}} [read readview] [write writeview] [notify notifyview] [access access-list]

snmp-server user username groupname {remote host [udp-port port]} {v1 [access access-list] | v2c [access access-list] | v3 [encrypted] [access access-list] [auth {md5 | sha} auth-password]}

Example(No authentication no access-list...):

snmp-server group test v1 read test

snmp-server user test test v1

regards,

Sebastian

Hi,

Thanks or your prompt reply. Bu what about SNMP cumunity String? We have to define same community string in our Whatsup Gold monitoring software?

Amin

Yes you have to set thr same community. This will authorize the whatsup to read or write from or to the switch

Send by Windows Phone

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card