cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP custom text field.

BorissF
Level 1
Level 1

It will be not bad, if in Cisco switches and routers SNMP configs, will be opportunity to define custom text field, for example for inventory numbers or other custom information. Using Python script we can collect necessary information from network devices and use it for further processing.

At this moment we have only 2 text fields (location and contact).

Maybe I'm wrong.

4 Replies 4

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you have hostname / IP-address / serial number, why need an additional custom field ?

if you really need this then you should also need this field for other inventory items,
like your servers, clients printers, not only Cisco Networking equipment

I have a need for this function as well. There are a number of other specific things I want to report on that do not fit inside the confines of typical data that I want to pull from a device via scripts. Sounds like this is a no go

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is the expression mib that can be used for custom data.  See this post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/request-for-ip-tunnel-mib-support-on-cisco-9300l-48t-4g-e-switch/td-p/4929207

Thank you for the link. Admittedly, this is quite a bit over my head but this gives me something to further google for and look for a possible easier break down.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card