cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[SOLVED] Port-channel and speed nonegotiate (25G vs 10G)

pr0t
Level 1
Level 1

Greetingz,

A particular server provides 10G links (dual) that are currently connected (port-channel) to a Cisco device (9500-40X).

My task is to migrate the server to the brand new switch C9500-48Y4C that offers 25G interfaces. I have two 25G compatible fiber modules already in place. I had gotten the C9500-48Y4C switch pre-configured and noticed that the port-channel created for my server has the following option pre-configured:

[Cisco port-channel]
speed nonegotiate

When it comes to the physical ports that I'm gonna use to connect the server, the speed is already defined for each one:

[Cisco server-link 1 & 2]
speed 25000

I'm wondering if it will affect the communication between the switch (25G) and the server (dual 10G). The server cannot go faster than 10G per link and apparently, the configuartion on the other end (Cisco) won't let the server and switch 'talk about it'.

I'd be grateful for any tips that would make this a bit clearer

5 Replies 5

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @pr0t,

What sort of sfp/fiber you connect between your server and the new Switch ?

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi M02@rt37 

I'm gonna use GBC PHOTONICS SFP28 LR 1310nm 10km LC SM modules (on both ends) - they are already working fine with some other equipment (plus a standard LC/UPC SM 1/125 LSZH Duplex OS2 fiber).

Regards,

OK @pr0t 

Speed 10000 under interface ?

Best regards

pr0t
Level 1
Level 1

Hi M02@rt37 

It turned out my colleagues had preconfigured the ports based on the wrong input they had received from us. Eventually, the server is not going to be connected to that particular switch. In addition to this, the SFP modules we got turned out to have been programmed in a way that made them pretty much useless (not quite compatible) - when it comes to the ones that are working fine - it was a different batch.

We've sent the faulty modules back.

The problem is gone.

OK @pr0t 

Thanks for your feedback 

Best regards
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card