Views
Helpful
Replies

some comparison between a Cisco 6807 and 6509

nikhil.kulkarni
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

I am in some doubt on whether to get in a Cisco 6807 or a Cisco 6509 chassis.

I need to be able to support and ACE 30 module and a ASA 5510 module which I know both do.

I want to know what is the difference in the SUP "VS-S2T-10G" and the "VS-S2T-10G-XL" for the Cisco 6807.

Also what the the ASA modules that the Cisco 6807 and the 6509 would support, I think they can support just any of the avialable modules.

Also, is it compulsory to have both SUP's in the switch or can I use one of the SUP slots to insert a line card?

Regards,

Nik

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 6807 and 6509E would both support the ACE-30. (ACE-30 release notes have not been updated but the 6807 data sheet confirms it.)

The ASA blade for Catalysts is the ASA Services Module (ASA-SM). It is also compatible with both chassis. The 5510 is an older ASA standalone chassis.

Both supervisors (e.g slots 5 and 6 on a 6509) are only needed when supervisor redundancy is desired. When only one supervisor is installed, the other slot can be used for a linecard. Reference Table 1 here and the matrix on this PDF.

The XL version of the supervisor includes more memory for customers requiring it for large ACLs, needing additional TCAM, etc. See the comparison data here.

View solution in original post

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Marvin's explanation and references, have a look at table-4 in this link.  It will show you what each slot can be used for.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/white_paper_c11-676346.html

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 6807 and 6509E would both support the ACE-30. (ACE-30 release notes have not been updated but the 6807 data sheet confirms it.)

The ASA blade for Catalysts is the ASA Services Module (ASA-SM). It is also compatible with both chassis. The 5510 is an older ASA standalone chassis.

Both supervisors (e.g slots 5 and 6 on a 6509) are only needed when supervisor redundancy is desired. When only one supervisor is installed, the other slot can be used for a linecard. Reference Table 1 here and the matrix on this PDF.

The XL version of the supervisor includes more memory for customers requiring it for large ACLs, needing additional TCAM, etc. See the comparison data here.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Marvin's explanation and references, have a look at table-4 in this link.  It will show you what each slot can be used for.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/white_paper_c11-676346.html

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card