Views
Helpful
Replies

Some feature in channel in switch

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

Folks

Two physical interface are configured as channel. Sometime we need to add feature like trunk, vlan allow, or native vlan etc. Do we need to add these features at both levels or at physical level or channel level? Is there a rule about it? Usually I add them at both levels. and sometime only one level is available. How do you think about it? Thank you

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Once the channel is bundled, you only change the config on interface port-channel X  ( you do not change any config on each physical interface and that is not allowed, this leads to a nonfunctioning state that may have link fail also).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What "needs" to be configure where (for Etherchannel) depends on the device.

Generally, newer/later Cisco devices support more configuration setting at the port-channel interface (i.e. automatically pushed to member physical interfaces, when needed) then they did years ago.  So, I try doing all expected interface configuration at the port-channel interface, first.

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

Thanks for your reply! Sometime we have to configure feature on physical interface first becasue some feature cannot be configured at port-channal. If we configure a lot features at physical interfaces first and then create port channel, do the origial feature added at the physical interface would be impacted? In other word, all features are only added on physical interface, while no any features added at port-channel, can this work well? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card