Views
Helpful
Replies

Some VLAN cannot work

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Dear all,

I would like to ask about how to troubleshoot my switch error.

Every month i got this issue. My switch have 2 VLAN only. VLAN2 port range is  port 1 to 12 and VLAN10 is port 13 to 24. I got this issue in VLAN 10. My server and client are connected to VLAN2 .Customer server and Client are connected to VLAN10 .Every one or two month, the part of vlan10 got the problem. Client connect to vlan10 cannot ping to customer server.But our server and client connected vlan10 is still working.It is only face on the VLAN10 ports.If i restart the switch ,all are ok ready. But after 2 to 3 month,i got this issue again.

Let me know it is firmware or hardware issue ?

Or is it some multicast or unicast flooding issue because there is one firewall between customer client and server.

Please help me how to identify.

9 Replies 9

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You said issue usually got resolved with the restart ? Can you tell me where is the DHCP configured ? The Client can reach any thing else or it is jus the server ? I suspect maybe issue can be on lease of VLAN10 DHCP if it is configured on the switch

Hi,

I didn't use DHCP server . Cannot ping to server only.It can resolve with restarting the switch.

Hi,

If this happens after a period of time (2 months, 3 months, etc..) and only reload fixes it, it could be bug in the software that is causing the switch to stop responding. What version of IOS are you running? You may want to upgrade a version or 2 and test again.

HTH

Hello

if you don't use dhcp for client addressing how do the clients receive their ip addressing ?

If you have clients that are statically assigned and this is occurring on a regular basis is it possible you could have a duplicate address conflict?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi ,

Sorry for my wrong information ?

The Client can reach any thing else or it is just the server ?

It is correct ,client can reach anything and can ping to other laptop when i connect on same VLAN .Can not reach reach server only. 

But this server is behind the firewall.Firewall is not my control.It may related with storm control ? I am confusing why after restarting my switch ,connecting is ok ?

Let me know can i check storm control is configure their site or not ?

Hi,

Most likely traffic is not allowed by firewall policies. 

It has nothing to do with storm control. Maybe they just block icmp traffic only, can you check whether you can content to port 80 of this server to see whether other tcp traffic is being permitted. 

Also,reach out to your firewall administrator to confirm what type of traffic is allowed to the server from firewall.

Hi,

I found the root case but still i don't know why ?, our switch connect to firewalls ( HA firewall ) with two lan cable for redundancy.But this LAN cable are plug in different vlan in our switch ( example one LAN cable connect to vlan 100,other is connect to vlan200). When i plug back to both cable to same vlan ,all are ok .But i don't know why i got the problem when i plugged those cable to different vlans.

hI,

Can you draw a rough diagram which shows two firewalls, their connection to the switches with Vlan and server ? We can sorted out the issue.

Mark.C
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you happen to check the memory/processor utilization around the time that you began seeing these issues?

I've seen in the past due to an IOS bug, memory usable creeps up over time and the only fix being a reboot.
Can you provide the IOS version you are using on the switch at present....worth looking in to.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card