cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Source IP Address of packets originating from Router ?

Anup Sasikumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Just a quick query which came into my head when trying to simulate Static Route between two routers on GNS3 , What would be the source IP address of a packet originating from a router ? Lets say I initiate a ping from the router console, what would be source IP adrdress of the packet generated ?

Is it the IP address of the exit interface through which the packet leaves the device ? Please help

Regards,

Anup

Regards,
Anup
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you are correct, it will be the IP address of the exit interface (except if you specify the source IP).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Yes you are correct, it will be the IP address of the exit interface (except if you specify the source IP).

Thanks Henrik !

Regards,
Anup

Hi Anup,

If you're running a latest copy of GNS3, you could sniff packets (if Wireshark was also installed). Just right-click on the green node, select capture and choose the source interface.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks Jon , I will try that using Wireshark ! I still haven't figured out how I can use Wireshark along with GNS3 ! I will figure it out , then use it to capture packets in real time and confirm the same.

Anup

Regards,
Anup
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: