Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN and ERSPAN Destination

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is it possible to have an interface that is both a destination in a local SPAN session and a destination in an ERSPAN session?

So for example I have Switch A and B. On Switch A G0/1 is destination in a local monitor session and is also a destination in an ERSPAN session from switch B.

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I have not fully tested this but I just ran the syntax and it does not give any errors when you set the erspan and local span to the same dest port , usually if its an issue it will block it

#sh run | i dest
monitor session 1 destination interface Gi2/5
monitor session 3 type erspan-destination
 destination interface Gi2/5

Austin Sabio
Level 4
Level 4

Multiple SPAN sessions are not allowed. 

"Only one destination port is allowed per SPAN session, and the same port cannot be a destination port for multiple SPAN sessions. Therefore, you cannot have two SPAN sessions that use the same destination port."

"A destination port can participate in only one SPAN session at a time. A destination port in one SPAN session cannot be a destination port for a second SPAN session."

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/10570-41.html

Yeah I read that statement too and was not sure how to interpret it. I am asking if a port can be a destination port in a SPAN session and an ERSPAN session, not two SPAN sessions. 

Unfortunately I don't have any kit at my disposal to test this out on.

If you're referring to G0/1 as a destination port -typically where the network analyzer is connected- then you cannot use it as a destination port for both sessions, ERSPAN is actually a regular SPAN over GRE-Tunnel. Due to limitation on switch resources as mentioned above.

I hope this helps. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: