Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN on 2940 and 2960G

jeremy-keen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am having trouble directing a SPAN session through both a 2940 and 2960G switch.  I have a Nexus 5K provding/outputting a SPAN session, going to to an interface on the 29xx configured as a SPAN source.  I then have another interface on the 29xx configured as a SPAN destination, however no interesting traffic is egressing that interface.

More details - the 5K is sending the traffic unencapsulated (confirmd by packet capture) at about 10000 packets/sec. (~30Mb/sec)  The 29xx is reporting the same traffic ingressing it's SPAN source interface (configured for both tx and rx traffic).  The SPAN destination interface (no ingress traffic permitted) is reporting almost no outpout traffic (confirmed by packet capture).  It seems the packets are getting "lost" in the switch between the source and destination SPAN interfaces.

When I very first apply the SPAN config, the detination interface reports approx 600 pps output, but this then goes to nearly 0 in a couple of minutes!

There are no clues in the logs, and the cpu is very low....

Any ideas greatly appreciated, please let me know if you need further info.

Cheers,

Jeremy

2 Replies 2

SunilKhanna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeremy,

Could you please share the output from your 2900 Series switch.

• show monitor session
  • show int [source interface]
  • show int [dest interface]

also, wanted to know what is connected to the destination port.

Regards,

Sunil

Regards, Sunil Khanna

Hi,

Whether the monitoring vlan is configured on all the switches?

vlan

remote span

++ The remote span vlan should be configured in all of the intermediate switches between the source and the

destination. Otherwise the traffic won't get passed.

++ You  cannot use the RSPAN destination port to inject traffic from a network  security device.

++ The switch does not support ingress forwarding on an  RSPAN destination port.

-http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swspan.html

Hope this helps

cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card