Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning tree Blocked interface

abimadaro4462
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have 3 Cisco nexus switches are connected to each other, spanning tree mode is rapid-pvst+ 

I want to connect one of those switches to another switch (Huawei one) as a temporary step required during the migration from Huawei to Cisco. 

I have configured an access interface on both switches (Cisco & Huawei), after connecting those switches i've received the following message; 

%SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk eth1/1 VLAN1
%SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking eth1/1 on VLAN1. Inconsistent port type.

the interface configuration on Cisco is; 

interface eth1/1

no cdp enable
switchport
storm-control broadcast level 3.00
storm-control action trap
no shutdown

Spanning tree configuration on Cisco as well is; 

spanning-tree port type edge bpduguard default
spanning-tree port type edge bpdufilter default
spanning-tree loopguard default

i've read some advises which telling to add this configuration on the connected port to Huawei switch; 

interface eth 1/1

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

But i'm not sure if this can solve the case! 

Any advise please ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

"Inconsistent port type"  one side is configured as trunk the other access port.

Also i would suggest to remove the following spanning-tree port type edge bpdufilter default- This can be very dangerous having it applied globally as it basically ignores received BPDU's on a port thus could cause stp loops.

Now bpdufilter on an interface (not globally) is useful you if you wish to connect a switch to another switch and the interconnecting ports are in an access mode then if you do have  bpduguard enabled globally  bpdufilter applied on an interface will take precedence as such you wont get any blocked ports because of bpduguard.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hello

"Inconsistent port type"  one side is configured as trunk the other access port.

Also i would suggest to remove the following spanning-tree port type edge bpdufilter default- This can be very dangerous having it applied globally as it basically ignores received BPDU's on a port thus could cause stp loops.

Now bpdufilter on an interface (not globally) is useful you if you wish to connect a switch to another switch and the interconnecting ports are in an access mode then if you do have  bpduguard enabled globally  bpdufilter applied on an interface will take precedence as such you wont get any blocked ports because of bpduguard.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks for the advise,
Both interfaces on Cisco and Huawei are configured as access ports not a trunk, this why i'm a bit confused of this message.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You received a BPDU on an access port. Make sure that eth1/1 is configured as a  trunk port (if so desired).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks,
The port from Huawei side is configured as access as well as the Cisco one.

Hello,

rapid-pvst+ is Cisco proprietary and won't work with Huawei, so I am not sure what results you can expect when you connect the Nexus with rapid-pvst+ enabled. 

Try MSTP on both the Huawei and the Cisco...check the document below for reference:

https://actfornet.com/HUAWEI_SWITCH_DOCS/All_Docs/HUAWEI%20Sx700%20Switch%20Interoperation%20with%20PVST+%20Technical%20White%20Paper.pdf

Thanks for the reference i will check it.
Do you think it's a good idea to change STP mode on Cisco switch (just the one will be connected to Huawei) and try using the same configuration ?

Hello

@abimadaro4462 wrote:
Do you think it's a good idea to change STP mode on Cisco switch (just the one will be connected to Huawei) and try using the same configuration ?

Wouldn't suggest that -  Apply bpdufilter to the interface from the cisco end and make sure they are both in vlan 1

Can you post from the Cisco the output of - 
show spanning-tree inconsistentports

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,
Huawei switch currently in production, do you think that such action might affect the traffic?

Hello

@abimadaro4462 wrote:
Hello Paul,
Huawei switch currently in production, do you think that such action might affect the traffic?

Apologies I should ha r asked that in the first place assumption was the nxos switch’s were in production or are they both in production it you wish to interconnect them?

Yes it is possible you could cause a problem depends on how you are going to connect them together-

Can you explain how you eventually wish the connectivity between the Cisco and Huawei to be running ((dual) or a single connections 

Are the huawei switch’s running as your core? 

The port on the huawei connecting to the cisco is its it’s tagged or untagged

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,
Currently Huawei is in production, Cisco is targeted to be in production during this migration. They will be connected through one link only, configured as access to VLAN 1 on both switches. Huawei acting as servers hosting switch, and only one switch is available. the planned is to replace the Huawei one with three Cisco switches. So as a temp solution during migration we are going to connect one link between the switches and start moving servers to the new one.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card