cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable on Catos ?

dfrenay_olabs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On an VSS 6509  (IOS) switch there is this configuration :

interface Port-channel11

switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,12,14
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

I want to translate spanning-tree bpdfilter enable to two WS-C6509 with CatOS , one with PO11 with two ports 3/15-16 and another with PO11 with

eight ports 3/13-16 & 4/13-16.

I'm not sure but for me the correct translation for Catos is for the first switch (3/15-16)

set spantree bpdu-filter 3/15-16 enable

And the second I don't know because the PO11 is on two differents modules(3 & 4), what is the good command line ?

set spantree bpdu-filter ???? enable

Thank you for your help and your advice.

David

3 Replies 3

Hello

I would advise against using bpdu-filter -especially  using this on an trunk interface as its the same as disabling spanning tree and can result in stp loops.in you network.

This shouldn't be applied to any trunk interfaces.as you do expect to receive bpdu's

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I agree with Paul, BPDU Filter is not a smart move.

BPDU Guard is what you want but this should not be used for ports connecting to other switches, only for other devices which can do 802.1Q such as Servers.

BPDU Filter stops the port sending BPDU's so if you configure your host ports with this and someone decides to connect two switchports together, there could be a loop form.

BPDU Guard will still shut the port down if it recives a BPDU but it still allows the port to send them.

dfrenay_olabs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I know the impact of this command, the application on this port-channel is justified.

So I find the command catos for the second point.

> (enable) set spantree bpdu-filter 3/13-16,4/13-16 ?

disable                    Disable BPDU filter

enable                     Enable BPDU filter

default                    Default BPDU filter

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card