Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning tree in firewalls and switches

dhanushkas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Please be kind enough help me to clear my doubt.

We have two stacked switches connecting to a firewall and both switches are connected through single port channel. Port channel is configured as a layer two trunk. 

Can anyone let me know will firewall send BPDUs to the switch and participate STP.

Thank you and Regards,

Gayan Samarakoon.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Normally not because the firewall is not part of the layer2 domain and or usually you will access it by routing solutions

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Normally not because the firewall is not part of the layer2 domain and or usually you will access it by routing solutions

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi Marce,

Is it advisable to configure Port fast and BPDU guard on the interfaces connecting to firewall.

Thank you,

Dhanushka

- Portfast YES, BPDU guard no.

M.

Hi Marce,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

Any reason, why we can not enable BPDU guard on those interfaces, Can we enable Root guard on those interfaces?

Thank you,

Dhanushka.

- Revisit my initial reply.

M.

If FW is transparent mode,

Then yes it will forwarding bpdu receive from one SW to other.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card