cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree Issues

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Running into a Spanning Tree issue and trying to figure out why Cisco is Blocking the port.  It is connected to another vendors' switch, no changes has been made and both sides have VLAN81 set as Native VLAN.  All the other VLANs are working but for some reason these two just keep blocking.

.Jul 9 00:17:51.703: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 60 on Port-channel7 VLAN61.
.Jul 9 00:17:51.703: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking Port-channel7 on VLAN0060. Inconsistent peer vlan.
.Jul 9 00:17:51.703: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking Port-channel7 on VLAN0061. Inconsistent local vlan.

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What is the specific (cisco)-switch model        (you may want to include the vendor switch-model too).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Cisco 3850, 12 port.  There are two switches in a stack.  Other vendor switch model is Juniper EX4600

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Error Message

%SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR : Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id [dec] on [chars] [chars].

Explanation : The specified interface has received an SSTP BPDU that is tagged with a VLAN ID that does not match the VLAN ID on which the BPDU was received. This condition occurs when the native VLAN is not consistently configured on both ends of a 802.1Q trunk.

Recommended Action : Verify that the configuration of the native VLAN ID is consistent on the interfaces on each end of the 802.1Q trunk connection. Once this inconsistency is corrected, spanning tree will automatically unblock the interfaces as appropriate.

Not sure your setup please check this :

https://ccieblog.co.uk/spanning-tree/native-vlan

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you, as mentioned in my post.  No changes were made on either switch and both sides have VLAN 81 set as the Native VLAN.  

- What is in the logs of the Juniper when this issue occurs ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

How Long these device up and running , with out any physical or virtuall changed something, this can not show as Log.

what else you see in Logs both the side part from this Logs, before this error generated ?

BB

there is different between Vendor with tag native VLAN, 
Some vendor will not tag the native VLAN 
other vendor will tag the native VLAN, 
so check this point. 

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB17419

Thank you all for your help and response.  Found out the issue.  Long story short, someone created a loop by plugging in two cables from the wall jacks and the in a VoIP phone.  Temporarily I ended up using a bpdu filter to bring up those two VLANs so the phones work.

You are so so welcome

that's a nice, the smart user.

BB

Lol well it was bit of a cabling mess so I gotta give her bit benefit of the doubt.  But I did train and whiteboard everything for her so she understands better.

Sure -- i have come across, many if the 2 outlets, with out seeing the tail end cable where it going - they try to loop.

BB

Hello @ALIAOF_ ,

I have seen the same in the past.

Cisco PVST and Rapid PVST BPDUs have an internal field that says the VLAN-ID they are related to.

The error that you have seen is caused on a trunk port by the check the Cisco switches do:

they compare the external 802.1Q VLAN-ID with the internal field and if there is not a match the error is triggered.

Usually for the way Cisco switched build STP priority   base Value + VLAN-ID when joining two VLANS X and Y the one with the lower VLAN-ID is preferred and propagated.

However, I strongly recommend to use BPDU guard on access ports instead of BPDU filtering to solve these issues, the second one is more a service provider tool. Using BPDU guard offending cabling will lead to ports put in error-disable .

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card