Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree - New Vlan Interface

e_dunnington
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is a noob question but i am doubting myself so i wanted to drop a discussion here to get the answer. In our current network, i am building out a management vlan so that SSH traffic and such can be used rather than through the normal data vlans. My question is this, currently i have a 2960x Stack configured with an IP address on 1 vlan, i want to remove that IP on that vlan and bring up my management vlan. Will that cause a spanning tree recalculation?

Vlan 10 - IP xx.xx.xx.xx (Remove)

Vlan 20 - IP xx.xx.xx.xx (Add)

Please let me know, any explanation is always helpful.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are running a version of PVST then creating the vlan at L2 is what causes an STP calculation but only for that vlan. 

Changing the IP address and/or bringing up a L3 vlan interface should have no effect on STP. 

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are running a version of PVST then creating the vlan at L2 is what causes an STP calculation but only for that vlan. 

Changing the IP address and/or bringing up a L3 vlan interface should have no effect on STP. 

Jon

No, i have already created the actual vlan inside of the vlan table. But assigning the IP address to it is the task i am taking on.

So based on what you said i should be good. Just want to be sure is all.. Thanks

As also Jon noted, changing the IP has no effect on STP.  If you want to change the mgmt IP, make sure you login using a regular data vlan/IP (non-mgmt IP). This way when you change IP, you don't lose your connection to the device.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card