Helpful
Replies

Spanning tree portfast connect to server

TimeOut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

Anyone i have any question about spanning tree portfast

Should i enable spanning tree portfast connect to server or i should disable spanning tree portfast

and if i have enable command  spanning tree portfast. Is there any problem? 

I don't sure  what's the best-pasties  for spanning tree portfast command. 

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if the server is end device (not like esxi or vswitch) you can enable portfast - there is no issue.

posrtfast quick way to port come up.

here is the good explanation :

PortFast

The PortFast feature is introduced to avoid network connectivity issues. These issues are caused by delays in STP enabled ports moving from blocking-state to forwarding-state after transitioning from the listening and learning states. STP enabled ports that are connected to devices such as a single switch, workstation, or a server can access the network only after passing all these STP states. Some applications need to connect to the network immediately, else they will timeout.

Enabling the PortFast feature causes a switch or a trunk port to enter the STP forwarding-state immediately or upon a linkup event, thus bypassing the listening and learning states. The PortFast feature is enabled at a port level, and this port can either be a physical or a logical port. When PortFast feature is enabled on a switch or a trunk port, the port immediately transitions to the STP forwarding state.

Though PortFast is enabled the port still participates in STP. If the port happens to be part of topology that could form a loop, the port eventually transitions into STP blocking mode. PortFast is usually configured on an edge port, which means the port should not receive any STP BPDUs. If the port receives any STP BPDU, it moves back to normal/regular mode and will participate in the listening and learning states.

In most deployments, edge ports are access ports. However, in this scenario there are no restrictions in enabling the PortFast feature. The mode of the port changes from PortFast to non-PortFast when the port receives a STP BPDU. To re-enable this feature on a port, run the shut command followed by a no-shut command at the interface/port level.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

if my customer use to ESX.  what is a problem when enable with ESX   can you shared me or shared your exp for improve.

Not sure what Cisco platform you are using but if you are connecting to an ESXi host with multiple vlans (trunk) you want to use

spanning-tree portfast trunk

HTH

Depends on your requirement if only required 1 VLAN below config works

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004127

If the config required to be trunk check below config :

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004074

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The critical consideration is whether the port being considered for port-fast, can, in any way, loop traffic. If it should never do this (normally the case for edge devices), then port-fast is okay.

If, somehow, a port with port-fast is "seen" with a BPDU, port-fast effectively is disabled, but if the port is actually looped, it's possible, even with the forgoing, that a L2 loop could effectively knock down your switch(es).
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card